5 THINGS I NEED YOU TO KNOW ABOUT KATY PERRY'S JESUS MUSIC CAREER
Did you know that before she was a whipped cream-covered teenage dream, Katy Perry was on the path to becoming a teenage Christian pop star?? HOLY SHIT, what. Maybe you knew of this, but I did NOT. How can it be that the woman who once did an entire candy-themed music video with Snoop Dog while wearing a cupcake bra is also a former Christian song writer?
I heard all about it on a new podcast called Good Christian Fun, which I only started listening to because it’s co-hosted by one of the Gilmore Guys. Turns out that growing up Methodist in rural Ohio has led me to getting wayyy more of their contemporary Christian pop culture references than I would have expected, but ANYWAY!
You should absolutely go listen to the full episode because the hosts (Kevin T. Porter and Caroline Ely) are great and funny and do a ton of research. But also, ALSO, you should listen because they play you some of her very catchy Jesus tracks in the ep!! In the meantime, just to get you started, here are some things you maybe didn’t know about America’s favorite firework. I’m gonna try to get through this without just name-checking every goddamn Katy Perry banger I know but I make no promises.
- A full seven years before kissing a girl and liking it, her sole Christian pop album came out in 2001. Only 200 copies were made. You too can own one for a mere $129 on Amazon.
- She was called Katy Hudson back then. She changed it later because her people were legit concerned she was gonna get confused with Kate Hudson. Which I guess is sorta real because that was the year Kate was nominated for an Oscar for Almost Famous…? (She didn’t win though, because Marcia Gay Harden was a DARK HORSE. AHHH HAHA, DO YOU GET IT THOUGH.)
- She has song-writing credit on all 10 tracks, though two were co-written. Keep in mind that she was only like, 15 at the time – that’s WILD.
- Per the podcast hosts, Katy seemed to have been pretty influenced by Regina Spektor and maybe Fiona Apple. You really gotta listen to the samples they play but it checks out.
- Her dad is a fundamentalist Christian minister and was on Alex Jones and shit. And like, recently – at least, within the last few years. She grew up in a fundamentalist household and, if you were ever BFFs with a preacher’s kid like I was (go PKs!), you may have a decent handle on just how this could have happened:
What a wild ride Katy Hudson/Perry has been on! The podcast mentioned a documentary about her and now I have to watch it. I had no idea she was so interesting, aside from having made a million catchy songs I love, petty-feuding with Taylor Swift, and briefly marrying that kind of gross British dude I hated. WHAT A LIFE.
PS, the fact that she and T-Swift don’t get along kinda bums me out now because those two have way more in common than I realized. Oh wait, except for the fact that Katy came out for Hillary in 2016 while Taylor didn’t say shit. Also, if you listen to this episode of Pod Save the People with Deray Mckesson you can hear just how hard Katy is at least TRYING to be a good ally, unlike TS. Anyway! Taylor is dead to me and I forgive Katy for Witness.
Go listen to Good Christian Fun’s episode about her! Don’t let it be THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY, AHHHH.